If you’re visiting this page, you’re probably interested in my professional side. In a nutshell: I love communications. I’ve lived all over the United States, look to work with organizations that have a lot of heart, and love combining smart messaging with thoughtful design.
I currently lead all communications efforts at the University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology. I direct all college media relations: monitoring for mentions, respond to media around hot-button issues, write op-eds and other features on behalf of our leadership. I also execute all our marketing efforts, from all website management, copy writing, art direction, and collaboration with University and community efforts.
In addition to my other duties, I also direct CodeCrush – an iSTEM immersion experience designed to help make the tech workforce more diverse and inclusive. With my (very) small team, we do event planning, full-service marketing (identity, website, print pieces, email, social, digital ads…you name it), community building, and…well, everything it takes to run a camp built to inspire the next generation of folx in tech. I also manage the $260,000 yearly budget for the project – from writing grants, grant reports, hiring, and more.
I earned my master’s degree in Public Relations from Boston University, and have been working in communications for over a decade. I’ve helped my clients gain positive placements in The Economist, The New York Times, Washington Post, The L.A. Times, and countless other news outlets.
Recent/Upcoming Speaking Engagements
Upcoming: Beyond the Tech Gender Gap: iSTEM in Rural Areas, SXSWEdu 2020 Speaker (Cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions)
(A select sample of semi-recent professionalism)
- IS&T Launches iSTEM Virtual Toolbox
- UNO’s CodeCrush Program Awarded Expansion Grant
- NSA Designates UNO as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Operations
- Computer Science Education Program at UNO Awarded $320K to Expand Scholarships for Rural Nebraska and Omaha Public School Teachers
Essays & Presentations
- IS&T Learning from Home (Part of a COVID-19 series interviewing the students, staff, and faculty who kept IS&T moving forward during the shutdown): Dr. Kate Cooper, Grace Maline and Kaitlyn Baysa, Cade Wolcott
- Adithi Chakravarthy, Ph.D. Student, Receives Award for Innovative Research on Rare Eye Disease, University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology (website)
- The Ethical Dilemma: Who’s Tracking our Medical Data, University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology (website)
- Honoring the Fallen, UNO Alumni Magazine (Print, December 2018)
- RESTART, Omaha Creative Mornings (presentation)
- How Your Facebook Comments Reveal More Than You Think, University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology (website)
- How Our Immune Systems Learn to Defend: An IS&T Faculty Member Investigates, University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Information Science and Technology (website)
- The Worst Advice Anyone Ever Gave Me, AIGA Nebraska (Medium post)
- Gender Diversity in IT: The Problem We Can’t Stop Talking About, Omaha Pecha Kucha (presentation)
- A Field Guide to Starting Over, Omaha BarCamp (presentation)